Nine Inch Nails Remixed

Since we’ve been on the topic of audio and video editing, I thought I might share a few interesting remixes of songs by Nine Inch Nails. The head of the band, Trent Reznor, has always encouraged his fans to “steal” and remix his work; now that’s he’s split from the major record labels, he gave out his last album as a free download and it’s open for everyone to use in just about any way they’d like. I made a slide show for UMW’s GALL (Guerilla Art Liberation Lives) using pictures that I took from last year’s art and pranks and the song called “Corona Radiata,” and as far as I know, I don’t have to worry about any sort of copyright claim if I decide to share it on Youtube. (I might post it later, but you get my usual excuse for now: stuck in the Unix lab!)
If I were musically gifted, I’d love to do some of my own remixes, but I think I’ll just leave it to other fans and Reznor himself.

This one is called “Tear Zero,” and I’m a huge fan of both songs. The song you hear in the intro is “Teardrop” by Massive Attack (which most people know as part of the House theme), and the voice is the lyrics from “Zero-Sum” by Nine Inch Nails. You can hear bits of “Zero-Sum” mixed in at one point, but it’s almost inaudible.
The best part of this song is that it’s not the only one. Someone took most of the songs from NIN’s Year Zero album and remixed them with other songs by different artists. There are also a few that are remixed with other NIN songs. This person titled his collection of remixes “Bootleg is Resistance,” after a sort of slogan for the Year Zero album: “Art is Resistance.”

Here’s another one by the same person called “Hypercloser,” which is a remix of two NIN songs, “HYPERPOWER!” and “Closer.” This one’s one of my favorites, even though I’m really not a huge fan of “Closer.” Uh, this one also has “bad” words in it. If you don’t like it…don’t watch it?

And I really love this one too 🙂 It’s called “In This Green World,” remixed from “In This Twilight” by NIN and “O Green World” by Gorillaz.

If you like those as much as I do, there’s a site to download these remixes called Bootleg Is Resistance. I’ve downloaded stuff from here before with no problems, so you should be just fine.

This one is a mashup of NIN’s “Discipline” and Vanilla Ice. Admittedly, I liked this one a whole lot better when I could hear NIN over Vanilla Ice instead of vice versa, but it was still strangely satisfying. And as an added bonus, the cartoon of NIN playing on stage? Done by a fan as a prank. He posted it on Youtube as the “official video” for the song and everyone went nuts because it gets even more outrageous and non-NIN than what you see in this video. Reznor apparently thought it was really funny and adopted it as the actual official video. See what creative, “obsessed” people can do?

This is my apology for my rick roll post earlier in the semester: NIN’s “The Hand That Feeds” mixed with Rick Astley’s infamous “Never Gonna Give You Up” as “The Hand That Gives You Up.” Uh… Well, it’s a little better this way, right? 🙂

I really, really love this one 🙂 It’s NIN’s “Meet Your Master” and Queen’s “Get Down, Make Love” (which, funny enough, NIN covered at one point).

This one, a mix of NIN’s “Suck” and Daft Punk’s “Indo Silver Club,” had its moments where it was really good. I didn’t like it at first, but around one minute in, I think it sounds pretty great. Also, around 2:46 it’s full of discord (the end of “Suck” being somewhat chaotic, plus the Daft Punk thrown in there). It’s FANTASTIC (for a person like me who loves that sort of thing), but I actually wish the artist had cut parts of “Suck” out or something. I don’t know, there are just a few parts that I really don’t like coupled with some really amazing ones.
I’ve got a million more, but I think this post will take up enough space as it is. Does anyone else have a favorite remix? Nine Inch Nails is my favorite band, but what about yours? Any that include your favorite? Share if you’d like 🙂

3 Responses to “Nine Inch Nails Remixed”

1. colin says:

I like the rick roll redo. Do you use audacity to do all the sound and then imovie to mash up the video? very cool

2. Sam says:

I didn’t do any of these, but I did see a tutorial for separating the vocals from everything else using Audacity on Youtube. If I can find it again, I’ll definitely post it. I’m sure it’d be easy to use iMovie or Windows Movie Maker to mash up the video too, just like we did in class.

3. Sam says:

Removing vocals:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYO7Fj5BORM

I haven’t watched it yet, but I assume you’d get two separate products from doing this–the vocals and then everything else. There’s all sorts of great tutorials on Youtube and other places for just about everything.