Final Proposal

I’ve decided to create a series of Javascript tutorials for my digital story.
My plan is to start with the basics. I’d like my first post to be about computer programming and Javascript in general. Then, I’d like to progress with various aspects of basic programming–the Javascript “alert,” if statements, looping, variables, and anything else that I feel would be important to learn. Once I’ve given everyone an idea of how to start coding, I’d like to walk everyone through building a number guessing game called Lucky Seven that I wrote over the summer. I don’t have an example of it online, but I might put it on my site later on, especially as an aid for anyone who wants to follow along and make their own version.
Lucky Seven is a very easy game to play (If you’re clever, you can guess the number just about every time–but it can be made more difficult.) and a very easy game to code. It’s not even a lot of code.
I want to include a quick tutorial on making an HTML file that you can upload to your site early into the project, which would also benefit anyone who hasn’t been able to set up their site’s home page. After all, I didn’t choose Javascript for no reason. Javascript works with a browser, so there’s no need for anyone who follows my blog to download a compiler. Compilers are proof that computers can hate 🙂 (Just kidding, but they certainly don’t show mercy when you’re begging for your work to compile…) But that’s not the only thing, either. Anyone who completes the project can put it on their site and show it off to the rest of the class. The game page can be decorated in all sorts of creative ways, which will be lots of fun for people who like web design to try.
If I finish the tutorial before the class ends, I’m sure I can pull some other fun projects from my sleeves.
Right now, I’m thinking I’d do 1-2 posts per week, depending on my work load (Double majoring is awesome if you’re a masochist.). It would be very easy for me to work ahead if I feel like I’ll be busy, then simply post what I’ve already written later on to stay on schedule. If people actually bother to follow along with this (and they should, it’ll be really easy and fun! *wink wink*), they’ll probably have occasional issues because Javascript can be very, uh, temperamental. Because there’s no compiler, it’s not going to tell you where errors are occurring. For people who have Firefox, I’ll encourage them to download an add-on called Firebug, which is free, helpful, and only slightly frustrating. It’s a debugger for Javascript. For people who don’t want that hassle and/or don’t want to switch browsers, I’d be willing to and/or feel responsible for their suffering and give some individual help. I can give further instructions for that as well if it is necessary–I actually enjoy the process of debugging when my grade isn’t on the line 🙂