Digital Story Proposal

I’m leaning towards adopting a persona and blogging as another person for a while. I really liked the idea we saw in class of Project 1968, where the women pretended to be people blogging from that era. I’m really not a history person, so I’d probably take a more modern approach. I don’t really know what kind of person I’d want to be, however. I thought of simply taking on a pseudonym and writing from another CompSci student’s eyes, but I might change my mind depending on whether or not I can think of a more exciting role for me to play. I do think that I’d have enough material to write about on a regular basis; even if my past and current experiences aren’t enough, I can always…uh, alter reality 🙂

February 14, 2010–Studied for Data Structures exam…on Valentines’ Day.
February 15, 2010–Got up at 6:30 AM and went to the Unix lab to work on some code. It wouldn’t compile. Again.
February 16, 2010–Someone in my Data Structures class followed up on that promise to burn the Unix lab to the ground if his project didn’t compile.

Maybe not quite like that (much more content, hopefully nothing as silly as some of the ideas I already have), but that’s the main idea.
If that doesn’t work out for me, I thought I might just do a set of nonfiction (probably how-to) posts relating to some topic that I’ll think of in the future.

EDIT:
I have a pretty fun idea for a how-to sort of thing and I think I’d have a lot of fun doing it. I was thinking I could do a series of posts on basic programming that build into designing a really simple number guessing game that I wrote over the summer. If that won’t keep me busy for the rest of the class, I could always do a couple of games/projects that people can add to their sites. After all, now we all have our own web space and we can put our own Javascript games on our sites when we’re finished.
Now I just have to either find the code for the game or write it again (hopefully I can find it :)) and split it into chunks.

2 Responses to “Digital Story Proposal”

1. Erin says:

You could always adopt a character from a movie, book or tv show and write a blog from their perspective, I think that would be really interesting, especially if you liked the Project 1968 blog. If you pick a character that lives in the past, there’s also a potential to explore their environment, (social, economic and political, even the location) more extensively than the original story did.

2. Jim says:

I like the first idea as well as the games/tutorials. The first idea got me thinking you could use a blog/twitter/flickr/youtube, etc. to try and create an alternative identity. One maybe similar to yours, but fictional, and explore stories there. It might be fun, and you are programming for your other classes, why not play with creating a story, or have part of your fictional story be about the games and stuff you create. A kind of blurring of reality could be interesting, and very instructive for all of us.