My little sister and her friend are digital storytellers.

YouTube is pretty amazing when you think about it. I mostly use it to listen to low-quality versions of my favorite songs until they’re stripped from the site for infringing on copyright.  I admit that I’ve taken a few cute videos of my pets and some of me riding for the site, but my sister and one of her best friends have taken their YouTube stardom to a whole new level.
They’ve set up studio wherever they go–in the barn lounge, sitting on a couple of hay bales in the hay barn, or even in the back of my car as I carry them to the next big horsey event. They work with only a cell phone, and most of the time they’re only recording sound. They each take on several roles for each episode of the Tisk Leanord Show. The two regulars that I can remember are Tisk Leanord, the host, and Gloria, who presents the random item of the day. Because this is a talk show, there are always new guests to interview. There have been so many that I can hardly remember them all, but I remember one was a bull rider who was missing a nose and one I think worked as a cart wrangler at a store. They make up comical interviews where each, uh, unique guest gets to share his or her story. The stories are generally ridiculous, but that only adds to the fun. Each show also includes a song, some of which I’ve recorded myself and kept on iTunes.
Yes, I know it’s a very low-quality video with lots of giggling, mistakes (Hey, this is complete improvisation.), and not much of a point.
Tisk Leanord Show with Lido
But the loosely-connected stories that they share are an example of homemade digital storytelling. These kids (13 and 14 years old) are able to use their fairly limited, collective knowledge of computers and technology to put together their own videos with a recording that they made themselves. (Recently, they’ve started doing video sketches and compilations of the Tisk Leanord Show too.) While I wouldn’t call their stories “compelling” or all that “emotionally engaging,” it’s really interesting and a lot of fun to see what they’ll come up with next.
Warning: They start yelling about halfway through and it’s…loud. Also, you might want to listen to the song called “Lido Shuffle” by Boz Scaggs in order to understand the references in the interview with Lido 🙂 They’re going to sing it near the end, so you can hear it then. They also make screaming, crying noises at the end to lament Lido’s lost paint pony. If you don’t like loud noises, this isn’t the digital story for you.