cout

When we had our Skype interview with Gardner Campbell, I was intrigued by the description of computers as “instruments whose music is ideas.” I’ve been fascinated with computers since the day my parents got our first family computer, since the day I started teaching myself Javascript, and even now, as a Computer Science major.  I got into web design (which led me to simple programming) when I was in 6th grade, and I thought it was absolutely amazing that it was possible for me to share my own writing, images, and ideas with hundreds of other people who just happened to own a computer with an internet connection. Even to this day, I love sharing my stories and creative work online for others to see and hopefully enjoy.
The Dynabook–our laptops–from “Personal Dynamic Media” by Alan Kay and Adele Goldberg makes it even easier to carry our creative medium with us. I carry at least one of my computers with me almost everywhere I go, much as a good artist or writer keeps a tablet and paper in his pocket in preparation for a spark of genius (or something like that).
I love the idea presented in Gardner Campbell’s article, “A Personal Cyberinfrastructure.” Everyone in the computer science department has space on Paprika (or one of our other spicy servers), and it is up to the individual to choose how to use it.  I’ve dabbled in some web design when I’ve been able to find the time, but wouldn’t it be fantastic if we were all able to have our own domains? We could attend seminars in order to further our skills and allow us to pursue our own creative endeavors.  It’s not only helpful for building a portfolio and maintaining a resume for our future careers, but it’s also a lot of fun to blog and experiment with the fun of designing our very own web pages.

One Response to “cout”

1. Jim says:

And I think the element of fun you mention at the end of your post is crucial. When you start combining learning with fun in a seamless manner, than we have officially become dangerous.